Commodore Retro Amiga Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are C.R.A.P. & proud of it...

Most Recent Posts
Show Latest Posts
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 226 on 17/9/2021, 15:51
Newest Member
https://crap.forumotion.co.uk/u105
Poll

Best / Worst Amiga Company...

How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_lcap112%How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_rcap1 12% [ 18 ]
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_lcap121%How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_rcap1 21% [ 32 ]
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_lcap132%How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_rcap1 32% [ 49 ]
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_lcap16%How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_rcap1 6% [ 10 ]
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_lcap16%How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_rcap1 6% [ 9 ]
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_lcap18%How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_rcap1 8% [ 13 ]
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_lcap16%How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_rcap1 6% [ 9 ]
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_lcap110%How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Vote_rcap1 10% [ 15 ]

Total Votes : 155

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» AmigaKit / A-EON Fanboys: Are They Really So Pathetic !!!
by Franko 13/6/2015, 15:49

» A-EON: The False Gawds & Self Proclaimed Saviours Of Amiga
by Franko 7/6/2015, 03:09

» Teh MooBunny Is Dead... OFFICIAL...
by Franko 6/4/2015, 06:53

» Best Solitaire...
by J_Golden 24/8/2013, 17:15

» Dirwork 2.1 informations, config files, and other fun stuff
by TheBilgeRat 9/5/2013, 17:29

» OFFICIAL: THE AMIGA IS DEAD...
by Franko 26/2/2013, 05:19

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go down  How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... [Page 1 of 1]

Franko

Franko
Admin
Admin
Fed up with your old Amiga or other computers looking a bit yellow & jaded !!!

Never fear Retr0Bright is here to restore your old yellowed keyboards & computers to that brand new just out of the box look... Smilie

I was a bit sceptical myself when I first read about this but decided to give it a try myself, boy was I surprised and amazed at the results. It works perfectly and restores your old computer gear to the colour and way it should look... Smilie

Here's an quick example of the results on an old A1200 I have that had a slightly yellowed case and a quite yellowed keyboard...

Slightly yellowed A1200 before Retr0Bright...
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Retr0BrightTest06

Slightly yellowed A1200 after Retr0Bright...
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Retr0BrightTest06a

Hopefully you can see from the above pictures the big difference Retr0Bright makes... Smilie

Now I'll begin with what you need to make Retr0Bright and how to use it to make your old Amiga's, C64's VIC 20's etc... look like new once again... Smilie

https://crap.forumotion.co.uk

Franko

Franko
Admin
Admin
First of all you'll need to obtain the following...

Creme Peroxide (Hairdressing Hydrogen Peroxide) (12% 40Vol minimum or 20% 60Vol maximum required)...
Oxi Cleaning Powder (Laundry Oxygen Cleaning Booster)...
BlackLight/ UV (Ultra Violet Light Source)....

How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... MyRetr0BrightIngredients

You can find the Oxi cleaner in any big supermarket quite easily.
Vanish OXI Cleaner...

The Creme Peroxide can be obtained from good hairdressers or via the internet. (12% 40Vol min 18% 60Vol max required)
Creme Peroxide 12% 40Vol 1 Litre

The UV light or BlackLight again can be found on the internet (eBay for example) or from some big DIY superstores and is ESSENTIAL for this to work. People have reported that sitting in direct sunlight works too but for a lot of us this is not something that is convenient or of much use indoors.
UV / BlackLight on eBay

All of the above can be found at different places on the net and are only given here as examples. Personally for the UV light I simply bought some UV bulbs for my 11w Fluorescent energy saving desk lamps and used those... Smilie

You will also need some safety goggles, rubber gloves, a glass or plastic mixing jug and a small (1" is ideal) paintbrush... Smilie

Last edited by Franko on 25/1/2012, 08:57; edited 2 times in total

3Cool Getting Started... 17/1/2012, 02:06

Franko

Franko
Admin
Admin
Ok... let's get started...

IMPORTANT: Health & Safety Tips...

When handling this stuff you should wear safety goggles and rubber gloves and even a face mask.
Do not smoke or use this stuff near naked flames as it gives off pure oxygen and is highly inflammable/ explosive.
If you spill any on your skin wash of IMMEDIATELY with plenty of fresh running water.
If you get any in your eyes SEEK MEDICAL ADVISE IMMEDIATELY.
Use only in a well ventilated area.
Do not use on an area where if spilled will cause bleaching damage (carpets etc...)
Keep pets & small children away at all costs (and careless adults).

I found the best place to do this was in the bathroom as it has a tiled floor and I used a sheet of corrugated cardboard covered in tin foil to reflect as much UV light back onto the object being Retr0Brighted.

How To Mix Retr0Bright...

Pour approximately 100ml of Creme Peroxide into a measuring jug add half a level teaspoon of the Oxi powder and stir vigourously. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes till it froths up. Then give another quick stir before applying with a small paintbrush...

An old VIC 20 case and some keys from an Amiga keyboard coated with Retr0Bright...
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Retr0BrightTest01a

Once you have everything coated with the Retr0Bright you need to switch on your UV light source and leave it to sit for 10 to 12 hours...

Items under the UV light coated in Retr0Bright...
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Retr0BrightTest01b

After 10 to 12 hours is up, it's time to wash off the Retr0Bright under fresh cold running water (inside a bath is a good place to do this). Make sure you are wearing your goggles and gloves and avoid contact with splashes especially onto your skin and eyes.

After thoroughly washing off all of the Retr0Bright leave the stuff to dry or dry them with an old towel...

VIC 20 case example... Right half done just to show the difference...
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... VIC20EngBefore01

A1200 keys example... showing the difference after the Retr0Bright treatment...
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Retr0BrightResults01b

From the picture above it can be seen that arrow keys still have some faint yellowing on them as well as the space bar...

The number 9 key has come up perfectly and the "N" key was not coated in Retr0Bright at all, just to show the difference...

It can take up to three coats of Retr0Bright to achieve the perfect result but you may find it more or less depending on how yellowed the objects were to start with...

It's a slow process and you will probably find your results vary from mine with regard to how many coats of Retr0Bright are required but it really is worth it in the end to have your old computer looking like new again... Smilie

4Cool Some Before & After Pics... 17/1/2012, 02:28

Franko

Franko
Admin
Admin
Some before & after pics...

VIC 20 Before...
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... VIC20GrmBefore02

VIC 20 After...
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... VIC20GrmAfter02

Amiga 1200 Before...
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Retr0BrightTest06

Amiga 1200 After...
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... Retr0BrightTest06a

Handy Tip:- To keep your de-yellowed items from going yellow again I use some Car Polishing Wax with UV protection to give everything a coating that will help keep them from going yellow for years to come... :-)

The Retr0Bright Experience...
How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... TheFrank0BrightProject01

Darrin

Darrin
A Wee Bit Chatty
A Wee Bit Chatty
Nice to see some side-by-side "before & after" pics. The stuff obviously works quite well.

Lord Spunky

Lord Spunky
A Wee Bit Chatty
A Wee Bit Chatty
Good job Franko - do you have 'seal' after? Have yours faded again over time?

http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.co.uk

Franko

Franko
Admin
Admin
Lord Spunky wrote:Good job Franko - do you have 'seal' after? Have yours faded again over time?

Only did them last year, but no sign of any yellowing so far... Smilie

The car wax I gave it a good going over with too still seems to be fine, just gotta remember to only clean/ wipe them down with a damp cloth and not furniture polish or the likes, which will probably take off the car wax... Wink

Franko

Franko
Admin
Admin
Notice for the "confused" over on Amiga .org… Wink

Using RetrOBright as described in the guide here WILL NOT DAMAGE ANY LETTERING OR SYMBOLS on any Amiga, C64 Or Vic 20 keyboard…

I have tested this on…

Vic 20 Keyboards
C64 & C64c Keyboards
Amiga 1200, A1500, A2000, A3000 & A4000 keyboards

and not one key suffered any damage at all… Smilie

I suggest "hishmak" & "Retrofan" were doing something wrong if they managed to damage their keyboards, as I have successfully "RetroBrighted" all of the above keyboards without the slightest bit of damage to any of them… Wink

Simply follow the instructions given in this thread and rest assured your keyboards will come out nice and clean without the slightest bit of damage to them… Smilie

PS:Why not ask "hismak" & "Retrofan" to post some pictures of their damaged keyboards and explain exactly how they mixed and used the Retr0bright that caused the alleged damage... Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top How To De-Yellow Your Old Computer Cases & Keyboards... [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum